Saturday 9 June 2012

Work by Sydney-based interiors stylist Jason Grant

 

Work by Sydney-based interiors stylist Jason Grant

IT'S more than rugs and occasional furniture which are moving in the world of interiors.

Beyond sponsored cars, book deals and corporate collaborations, the future of Brand JG is as uncertain as when Grant was a child admiring whimsical paint names. But I do not think people go into styling because of the glamour. "I think it's a flow-on effect from the move in fashion towards celebrity stylists such as Rachel Zoe.

So, has the rise of stylists such as Grant, Megan Morton - who has books and her own school in Sydney's Rosebery - and Melbourne heavyweight Glen Proebstel generated hostility from the industry? "I think that type of conflict is reserved for architects and interior designers," Grant says. "There's something about crisp bed linen that always makes a place look finished," he says. I will see what happens and just keep working. "Television is interesting however, you don't want to . The image is everything. There's a lot of schlepping things about involved. Of course, all of the invitations to parties are quite nice, too. It all looks so glamorous.

Has the media attention led to a greater understanding of what a stylist does? "I think even my mum is not exactly sure of what I do," Grant says. Stylists work to bring the environment to life for a photograph . "Having things look clean is a good starting point. Offers from magazines began to trickle in. "Although my mum did confess recently that I did want to be the individual who came up with the names for the paint colours. What I'm doing now is trying to produce a brand from my image.

The breakout star of the styling set is Britain's Faye Toogood, the former decoration editor of World of Interiors, who went on to establish Studio Toogood, which has worked with Hermes, Sony and Vitra.

Jason Grant is part of the charge of highly visible, media-savvy stylists looking to raise their reach in Australia beyond the challenged life style magazine market.

Like many of his peers, Grant had informal beginnings in his career as a stylist.

The relaxed, casual settings created by Grant with eye-catching splashes of colour are his signature, or as he puts it, a key part of Brand JG. "I certainly didn't grow up thinking that I wanted to be a stylist," Grant says.

Work by Sydney-based interiors stylist Jason Grant



Trade News selected by Local Linkup on 09/06/2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment